Warfare (ASW) School had its humble origin in 1941 when an Anti-Submarine
School was set up on the ramparts of the Castle Barracks in Bombay. A
Torpedo School, which was established initially at Naval Dockyard, Bombay
in December 1941 and shifted to Rozi near Jamnagar, was commissioned as
HMIS Valsura. The Anti-Submarine School was also shifted to HMIS Machlimar
at Bersova, a suburb of Bombay. Anti Submarine School was the first to
shift to Kochi in 1946 closely followed by Torpedo School from Valsura.
The combined school named as the Torpedo Anti-Submarine School was shifted
to its present location in November 1955 and renamed as Anti Submarine
Warfare (ASW) School on October 1, 1985.
ASW School is involved in training officers and sailors of the Indian
Navy. The curriculum includes an advanced study in under-water acoustics,
modern sensors and weapons, ASW tactics and mine counter measures (MCM).
The school also conducts training to officers and sailors of friendly
foreign countries. Officers from Bangladesh, Ghana, Indonesia, Malaysia,
Philippines, Seychelles, Singapore, Sri Lanka, South Africa and UAE have
passed through the portals of this school.
school is well-equipped with live equipment, weapons and simulators for
training. Computers are used extensively in training to meet the
technological advancements. The school has a fully equipped computer lab
with the important sections being connected by a LAN. In keeping pace with
the changing scenario, the school endeavours to train personnel in the art
of anti-submarine warfare with the motto : to
seek, to classify, to destroy.
- Cdr M Nambiar